Welcome to Merri's Blog!

Thanks for being a reader and for sharing these posts with others!

Please leave comments.

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Up to the highest height



I'm not sure which Greek sage first announced, "Know thyself". It is attributed to at least six. While presently the thought shows up in the modern-day film,The Matrix, on a plaque above the Oracle's door, the saying encourages us to achieve our potential.

Today is Sunday. This weekend I observed myself through attention to others while my family came to visit. The gene pool lever knocked on the back of my mind while I noticed a key habit of my father's - the quick release jaw during laughing. I have always been mindful of how often my mouth flies open wide when attempting to kick a ball, shoot a basket or block a shot.

Although I have meant to adjust that habit so my tongue isn't quite so evident, I never think about it soon enough. Well sure enough, Dad's does, too. And not just when he's attempting a physical feat. It's also when he exclaims, laughs and wonders.

Just when I began shaking my head in wonderment, I noticed it again. My mouth had flown open. Suddenly I was aware that this behavior was not learned but natural. It can not be controlled.

Sure, Pythagorus, Socrates, Plato - all the ancient philosophers - have led us to reach our highest height of understanding self while witnessing those around us: actions, behaviors, morals, habits. Even applying this to our understanding of God, the universe, and our collective consciousness.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height
Let's go fly a kite
And send it soaring.
Up to the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear.
Oh, let's go, fly a kite.


On this sacred day of days, what I have discovered about myself gives me little sense of divinity. My opportunity of flying a kite, of discovering enlightenment, has led me instead to sucking in flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment