Welcome to Merri's Blog!

Thanks for being a reader and for sharing these posts with others!

Please leave comments.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Get Feedback

I remember the adrenaline rush of being observed. When supervisors would step into my classroom where  I was teaching a lesson, or media critics had been spotted in the opening night audience, my mind would jump ahead to the moments later when facing these experts one on one. This always gave my adrenaline a boost.

Why? The anticipation of feedback offers a turning point. No longer is my perspective the only one that counts. It's the perspective of those in the audience. That's what my presenting/performing efforts are based on. No longer is my success based on what I experience - is based on the experience of those in my audience.


Today I am turning the tables in my efforts. I am the one in the audience giving feedback. As a presentation coach, I show up in the audiences of my clients to observe what is going well in the speaker's style. What about their delivery and approach are laudable? With this information, speakers can affirm their choice of presenting while considering tweaks for improvement.

Presenting requires major focus in several ways - learning what an audience wants/expects and supplying a message that meets the expectation, and additionally, giving them more than expected. Any of those areas of focus can lag when we are unprepared or given little feedback.

Yet when there is willingness to hear feedback, our adrenaline steps in to give us heightened awareness of where we are and where we can go. We anticipate opportunities for growth prior to hearing  the feedback and when it comes, we can't wait to apply it. New horizons unfold for us.

Getting feedback from supervisors and critics was never easy, yet when it happened, it was a huge boost for me. While hearing what works well is worthwhile, hearing suggestions for improvement was always moreso.

Get feedback. It's as easy as inviting someone into your next audience. The adrenaline will step you up a notch and the feedback will give you new perspective from your audience's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment