Welcome to Merri's Blog!

Thanks for being a reader and for sharing these posts with others!

Please leave comments.

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

When it's Time to Uproot

One of the things that shakes my values is the Bible.

This isn't going to be a rant on religion or Christianity - simply a focus on everything being acceptable. I hope you get my point in a few minutes.

 If you are a regular reader, you know that about 5 days ago we moved, because I focused a post on the impact of clutter.

But today I am recalling what it takes to shift from being settled to unsettled and then finding our way back to becoming settled again - until next time.

Getting uprooted is a true test of my values.





My parents understand this. They have moved over 30 times and are currently gearing up for another. They, of all people, get the power of Ecclesiastes 3, which starts out with

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

I like order, systems that flow, and being in the groove. So to me, whether it's my introvert style or simply my anxiety over change, moving brings concern. This uprooting is a tremendous cause of stress. I can't predict the outcome, yet of late, since I, too, have frequently moved (6 times in a short span of years), I am better able to handle the anxiety.

Many career circumstances give us similar reactions. Change of boss, change of duties, change of territory, change in expeectations and yes, change of employment status. 

Are you stressed with the need to originate business, to litigate more, to align with new partners, or  even to fire a client?

Just when we think things aren't supposed to happen this way, we recall the age-old verses 2-8 in Ecclesiastes 3,

 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

That says it all.

When I shifted my perspective about uprooting - getting out of my cave - I shifted to becoming flexible.

This shift has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment