Welcome to Merri's Blog!

Thanks for being a reader and for sharing these posts with others!

Please leave comments.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Getting in the Flow #1

This isn't going to be a "how to" post on what it takes to find that sweet spot we're after. Instead, I feel the need to reflect on the space I'm in. Especially as it applies to several things I have neglected until recently.

Today's post is addressing what has changed since my recent move. Tomorrow's post will address another neglected and now enjoyed piece of my life.

Those of you who know me well have heard me share my love of living downtown. The bustling activity, city that never sleeps (yea, not only New York can claim this!) and feeling of being in the middle of the action has a real pull.

And then a month ago we moved away from downtown to be on the water in a private quarry/lake community full of mature trees and out-of-the way bird and geese activity.


Wow! The activity of nature is amazing. From cardinals to herons to a vulture we spotted over the weekend, camped out about 300 yards from the view of our balcony before it flew away with something in its talons.

Not only our cats are enjoying this activity. Each morning the chorus of bird song pulls me awake and alert to what it's really like to be in the flow. An introvert, I appreciate connecting with nature and letting my mind find fluidity. When living downtown, I didn't have this ability. Now that I do, I see the difference in my state of mind.

Yesterday after a very productive day of presenting and networking, I took time to float in the quarry. I have an upcoming Effective Communication series the local bar association is sponsoring and need to flesh out the perameters of each CLE session. The predominant thought in my head was to ruminate over each while in the water.


I donned my swimsuit, grabbed my water noodle, and swam out into the central area of the quarry to let my thoughts go wild. It works! My thoughts shaped the design of each session, offered co-presenter possibilities, and then when I went to last night's networking event, I began sharing these thoughts and found even more ideas flowing from others.


Now I see that my mental focus and clarity is tied to my natural surroundings. I feel so in the flow! Can you relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment